Day 39: OH YEAH!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
So the official count was 17cm at 4am at the Ottawa Airport. I decided last night that I was heading west and not skiing the close locals.
Calabogie was slightly off the main path of the first wave, but some of the models mentioned that it would be close to the highest accumulation in the second wave. Yep, EC was calling for 36 hour event. Snow report in the morning mentioned a fresh 10cm, however it was snowing harder and harder throughout the day.
So after making my way to the garage in the back of our yard (snow over and in my boots – I wasn’t wearing my ski pants) + shoveling in front of the garage door, I was ready to go. The surprise was that the laneway was cleared, but street wasn’t. Anyway, got the car in front of the house, got everything in the car and Morgane joined me for this trip. 8)
Calabogie is about 90km (55 miles) from Ottawa, however today’s drive took maybe 90 minutes as I had to follow two plows running parallel at 20mph on the highway. Got at the hill, freshies was definitely on the menu today. However my daughter was hungry for some real food, so we headed inside to eat a bit. To be fair, she had eaten a small breakfast pretty early, so…🙄
Okay, we were ready to go at 10:30ish. Skied two runs, Morgane’s feet, hands and legs were frozen and we headed back inside. ](*,) It was only -7, but it was windy. Heading back outside with an extra vest (although my daughter said her body wasn’t cold, told her it will make her warmer), also charged her mittens.
For some reason, most runs had been groomed. 🙄 However the snow was building up nicely and the side of the trails off the cat track was deep. I would dive in a few times and Morgane couldn’t believe the amount of snow flying, a few times up to my face. The snow was extremely dry, like feathers. The second wave probably arrived at around noon, as the snow was falling harder and it was really blowing hard. I was slightly concerned with the drive back, regardless I skied until 4:29pm, declined on one last ride up. Morgane was already in the lodge and I had made two extra runs without her.
The drive back told about 1:45 on a snow covered highway. Had to shovel another 20cm (at least) to get the car back in the garage. The plow hadn’t passed since this morning and the car barely passed over the snow. Planning tomorrow right after I finish typing this.
DAMN AMERICANS with charging the clocks a few weeks earlier. 😡 😡 😡 Of course, we had to follow that lead. 🙄 That means one hour less of sleep for me before first tracks tomorrow. Definitely a possibility, I’ll be going solo tomorrow. Morgane went to bed at 10ish tonight and said that she wanted to rest before our Spring Break this week.
Originally posted on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:03 am on firsttracksonline