Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:20 am
It was raining all weekend in the Great Wet North, so I decide to head South and get some of those Spring activities down in places where the weather was dryer.
A beautiful day in the Valley, but our heads were in the clouds. More later…films pics are probably going to ready in 2010, however I wasn’t the only one with a camera that day.
Great fun to be repeated some day with greater sleep and rest to fully appreciate the possibilities.
Pictures in the short picture summary courtesy of Famous Internet Skiers:
come on pat… could you shoot for 2009?
ok so here’s my end of the deal:
“Where’s waldo” skier picture?…
pat (i love this picture)
awf getting STEEP and in a TIGHT spot
Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:39 pm
Thanks G for putting those up…
Bullet form TR (approx dates and times):
May 26: Road opened. Great skiing, unfortunately I wasn’t available last weekend for the road opening. Great TR from that weekend. I’ve been waiting to go skee via Otto for maybe 3-4 years; ever since seeing TRs from Lftgly and GPetrics with Salida on the snowfields and GG.
May 29: Weather was becoming very sketchy. Rain, rain and rain in the forecast. I had an unofficial discussion about a possible Mt. Wash trip under the rain at Jay with Gpetrics. He’s also looking at the forecast. Awf was also looking to tag up and to head up the road on T4T. I also spoke to my none-internet ski friends.
May 31: Weather was calling for 50% chance of rain and t-storm. I could live with the rain, but I was more concerned with the t-storm. I was debating into maybe pushing the trip one week later, but also remembering that everything up there was gone quick last year. Looking at best opportunity, another forecast are slightly less negative. I decide to bail at 2pm ish…until updated forecast dropped the chance of showers to 40%. The forecast was getting better as we were getting closer. Finally decided to go for it after all. Icelandic gave his advice on T4T. G looks at it…called me back and we set meeting time. Message left for AWF.
May 31 – 19:02: We left Ottawa with the entire family. Wife had to be in Montreal the next day; she was going to leave alone if I decided to bail.
May 31 – 22:01: Girls were finally in bed. I got my stuff ready and watched the hockey game.
May 31 – 23:01: In bed and set the alarm for 4am. 😯 😯
June 1 – 4:45: Departed from mom’s house in Montreal in the rain.
5:02: Left the island of Montreal in the pouring rain. Drove above the limit to make up time and be able arrive at rendez-vous point at 8:30am.
6:17: Heavy cloud cover, but no rain as I’m questioned by US border guard.
7:15: St.Johnsbury: time to put some gas.
8:19: Made it at Otto Rhode’s lot.
8:30: Awf and Danimal (from T4T) showed up. Inform him that Gpetrics and K_C would be there. Cool…We’ll try to fit into G’s car.
8:44: Gpetrics and K_C joined us and we decided to pack everything in their truck.
9:01: $48US divided by 5 is what this is costing us. Gpetrics tell us to listen to the first minutes of the Auto Audio guide. DESTINY INDEED!!!
9:28: We are driving into the clouds.
9:34: K_C’s head was almost cut off by a few pairs of skis thanks to Gpetrics sharp turn into the Lot of the Clouds.
9:41: Got our boots on and added some more layers. It’s didn’t feel like June. Isn’t this GREAT!!! 😛
9:45: Hiked over rocks in ski boots to reach the snowfields. GPetrics and Awf mentioned how much snow was lost in one week.
9:59: First turns in June. We lost Gpetrics in the heavy fog as he blasted into warp speed. I guess we follow the “white”?
10:00: 160m vertical. Snowfields were steeper than I thought.
10:10: Hiked back up.
10:15: Pat was going to be sick. Reasons: a) out-of-shape; b) lack of sleep; c) hungry; d) altitude; e) white out conditions/vertigo; f) all of the above. Needed to sit down, breath, drink and eat.
10:20: Felt a bit better.
10:30: Finally I was back at the top.
10:40: Repeated 2 more times. Pat was okay. Awf was taking pictures, Pat skis blind and saw him at the last second. The hike back up was getting easier and took Pat 15 minutes this time.
12:00: Back at the car, Pat got his helmet. We were heading off to the Great Gulf. Where the hell was it? Where were we? Ah, here’s the road!!! G and A talked about the stuff they did in GG the previous weekend.
12:45: Top of Turket Chute. Evaluation of the ski route. GPetrics and Awf were ready to go for it. Awf talked about a 5-6 feet choke. K_C and Pat hesitated. Danimal wasn’t sure. Pat volunteered to show Airplane to Danimal.
13:02: GPetrics, Awf and K_C skied it and dove through the choke. Pat walked off into to fog trying to find Airplane with Danimal.
13:15: Airplane found. Danimal found it steep; Pat told this bad timing story about someone dying on Chute. Sorry. 😦 I measured the top part of the slope at 43 degrees.
13:25: Pat was the guinea pig. Snow was fine, however it was slick in some places. Made some short turns to control speed on the hard surface upper steeps. Danimal made some nice teleturns, skipping over some obstacles toward the bottom.
13:35: Pat and Danimal stopped not far from the Lake. We decided to stop before bushwaking. That was a great 298m vertical descent.
13:55: After a 20 minutes wait for the others (they were going to try to connect with Airplane from Turkey. I guess, it didn’t connect?) Were we alone? We had a great foggy view with no sign of the others, so we started hiking back up the 1000ft couloir.
14:05: I saw the others skiing down. We found out that they had hike out of Turkey. They stopped about 100 meters above us.
14:15: Hiked on a different boot ladder until the mid-steep part. The traversing of a 40 degree slope was a bit nerve raking. Wished I had an ice axe like the rest of our party. I ended up climbing on all four.
15:05: Back at the top of Airplane, Gpetrics and Awf were talking about a short run down Space Walk. I decided against it. I was tempted, but I was still thinking about the long way back to Ottawa afterward.
15:40: K_C, Danimal and Pat waited for them for a while then we started heading back toward the car. Weather and wind were much colder and stronger now.
16:05: Two guys hiked over towards us looking for Airplane??? WTF??? Isn’t it a bit late? A short time later, G and Awf caught up to us. Geez, the two guys asked them about Turkey Chute.
16:35: After 55 minutes of hiking over boulders in ski boots with wind trying to throw you down, we were back at the car. 7 hours on the mountain. Pat and Danimal skied about 800 meters today in 4 runs. K_C (5 runs), G and A accumulated more than 1000m (6 runs).
16:40: Packed the car again. It’s was realllllly windy. Awf and Pat decided against removing ski boots now.
16:55: We started driving down. We noticed that the rest of the valley had clear skies, only the top of the Presidentials were in the clouds.
17:15: Arrived at the bottom, we parted ways: Hanover, Boston and Ottawa. Pat told himself that a day skiing trip are a bit much when hiking is involved. Plus I needed to get back here in getting shape.
18:30: Pat tried to eat a hot pizza bought near Jeffersonville while driving.
21:00: Crossed border, the pouring rain started shortly after…all the way to Montreal.
June 2, 1:00: Final arrived in Ottawa with the family and kids after picking them up in Montreal. Lucky my wife was there for the last 2 hours of driving.
June 2, 2:00: Stuff more-or-less unpacked. Finally I got to bed.
June 2, 9:00: Backed at work
June 3: Film at Camera shop
June 8, 23:17: Full TR completed.
June 10, 20:58: Pat gets back to continuing his Chilean TRs from last Summer.
June 11: Pics ready for Bday.
October 16, 2008: Pics posted with TR!!! 😉
The following pictures (our hike out of Airplane) are a courtesy of danimal and can be found on the Eastern Snowfields: June 1, 2008 TR from T4T started by Gotstowe86 which we meet on the Snowfields.
On the bootpack for the slog out.
The group for the day in the fog
Awf and gp nearing the top of airplane.
Awf in the mist
KC hanging on
MadPat Popping out!
That’s all folks!!!
MadPat’s Gallery :
Mount Washington NH – June 1, 2008