Previously titled post: Dusting – 23 oct 08
Geez, a bunch of people are keeping an eye for my streak.
is certainly enough snow up there for a few turns
Tony Crocker reply to my quote:
Will he scrounge for the dustings of this storm or throw down for Colorado again?????
Dusting??? \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Maybe Patrick could squeeze some October turns out of this. Would require some luck and some driving
The turns got squeeze all right.
More when I get some sleep. I’m working tomorrow. 😳 Ottawa Ski Show and TGR movie tomorrow night + Feist concert with Morgane Saturday. Busy week ahead after Morgane BDay/sleepover party last Saturday.The rest of the week is very busy: Tuesday hockey game in Montreal with Morgane, David Byrne on Thursday in Montreal again, Halloween on Friday and Melissa Auf Der Maur in Montreal on Saturday. :-s The following week is Tara Bday.
Originally text posted on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:45 pm on firsttracksonline
FORECAST, PLANS & OPTIONS:
Okay, so I looking at this potential snow forecast for over a week. Looked like there was some descent amount forecast for Jay, Stowe, Whiteface, Cannon and Mount Washington. There was also talked about snow up North at Tremblant and Le Massif. Environment Canada issued a Winter Advisory on Tuesday night mentioning the possibilities of up to 15cm in the higher peaks and LeMassif summit cam was obstructed by snow(?). The forecast amount for south of border was falling to around 5-10cm in certain mountains. I was supposed to head on Tuesday night toward Jay, but decided to stay in Ottawa. I was looking at the Whiteface autoroad, this wouldn’t really flatter than that raining day in Pucon in August. Also thinking about Mt.Wash auto.
I was also looking at the outside possibility of heading to Le Massif, however I wasn’t sure if the road was open so I PMd someone for some pre-season Massif Beta. The concern was driving the road in the Charlevoix on old Summer tires and then get to the summit lot if it wasn’t plowed.
Got up the next morning, looked at the options and the choice was clear. I was going to head to Le Massif. The bad thing was that I caught a bad cold from my youngest while staying at home with her on Tuesday. I stayed home sick on Wednesday, even if the boss was aware that I planning a ski day. I didn’t find anyone else that I knew from ZS to join me on this long drive, one was close, but he was on-call for work and wouldn’t be able to leave MTL before 9am. The only other serious partner was a hardcore skier from Vermont and he was thinking car-shuttle skiing. His distance was about the same as mine from Ottawa, however his options are generally next door and opted into not burning cash driving which is perfectly understandable.
Off to sleep in Montreal on Tuesday evening. The trip was LeMassif is pretty far, but looked like it was going to be worth it.
LE MASSIF DRIVE:
Okay, so the ski area mentioned 34cm and had posted a few mouth-watering pics. :drool: PR stunt? Didn’t leave super early, I left at 6:45am for the 3:30 trip. Pat was feeling crappy during part of the drive, a smart person might have stayed in bed felling like this. Driving pass Mt Ste-Anne I notice a light dusting of snow on the summit trails, after that cutoff for MSA, HWY 138 starts climbing in the Charlevoix region. This brought the first sign of snow, October snow next to the house of St-Tite-des-Caps. :drool: \:D/
Turned off to the ski area road which lead to the summit (or close to it), the road was plowed, but snow-covered. Winterwonderland. A few cars were packed near the summit lodge/office, the regular parking was covered in snow.
Dusting of snow at Mont Ste-Anne.
Highway 138 in the Charlevoix.
Bluebird day and there was a good amount of snow at the top, but what we’re the conditions like. How low did this coverage go? I had brought two pairs of skis, my B1 and some old junkboards; the old straight 201 7S that I had used at Jay in October 06. After speaking to a solo-boarder from Montreal that had started at 5am. I started off with La Petite-Rivière intermediate trail at 10:35. The trail starts off flat then tilt down toward the St.Lawrence river. The snow wasn’t that deep on the flats and hit some good powder once it got steeper. The snow wasn’t wet or heavy, I had less difficulty adapting to skiing powder with straight skis this time. The trail with the coverage went on for a long time. I was taking my time and enjoying one of the best scenery in the East. I stopped skiing 20 minutes later as the snow texture was making it more difficult to turn on the old 7Ss. I also didn’t want to climb back up all day. 😳 The snow depth was about 25-30cm were I stopped at alti 435m. Lodge is at 710m and base area is at 36m. I have no idea how low I could have skied. The only other tracks continued much further.
Upper trail / Haut de la piste Petite-Rivière. This is where I decided to stop.
More snow to ski on lower on the run.
Old 7S were only used for this run, no junkboard needed today
October turns are fun!!!
Starting climbing back up, looking for a possible bootpack. Hard work. I eventually followed what I thought were the boader’s tracks, it was going off into the small traverse into the woods. All of a sudden, I see a load of crap. 😯 Crap, this isn’t the boarder’s tracks, but moose tracks!!! 😆 I backtracked to the main trail and continued up, eventually following using another traverse that was used by vehicule (4 wheels or snowmobiles) thinking that the climb might be faster that way instead of making my own tracks. Skins would have been a great help on a day like today.
Eventually meet two boarders on my climb back up through another trail, I was going to find out at the end of the day that one of them was Phil from ZoneSki. Back at the car, I eat my sandwich and changed my old boots and old skis.
I climbed higher than the lodge towards the higher trails/summit at 805m. From there, heading toward La Tremblay black run. Nice, very nice. \:D/ \:D/ Touched something maybe once or twice. Climbed up “La Lavoie” trail and followed a snowshoe pack. Back at top, skied the last part 90m to the lot. Meet up with the two boaders that I had seen before, they had also left from Montreal that morning like the other boarder. I didn’t see anyone else.
Top of la Petite-Rivière with a few more tracks.
Le chalet at the top of Le Massif.
Higher with the St.Lawrence River in the background.
La Tremblay ski trail – not only blue intermediates
Back to the top and ready to ski back down to the Chalet and parking lot.
Yes, that was #37!!!
2 long runs and 1 small one for a total 640 meters in just under 5 hours in the great outdoor. Better than staying in bed sick.
Left the Massif lot at 4:15pm, got caught in rush hour traffic in Quebec City 😯 😯 😯 , eat supper in Trois-Rivières, stopped by my mom’s in Montréal then off to Ottawa. Arrived home at midnight…unto work the next day and unto November at the rest of my 2008-09 ski season.😀
SUMMARY OF COVERAGE:
Coverage at Le Massif was between 16-55cm (actually mesured by myself as I was hiking back up). Consistently 30-40cm from altitude 805m (at top) to 400m (midway). I stopped that low on my first run, but could have continued way down, I didn’t want to hike back up forever + snow texture was changing + had my junkboard Rossi 7S 201 to ski that powder. Got back up and got my B1s. Barely scratched the base twice.
Originally text posted on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:32 am on firsttracksonline