Skiing on Velvet! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Just a simple TR just to say Wow!!!
Simply amazing groomed conditions. P.P.P.C. (Perfect Packed Powder Corduroy) on the two different runs I skied. Mind you the temperature was -26c in the morning with -39c windchill; the hill will remain in great shape as we received a bit of snow earlier in the week.
First race of the season, when I turned into the parking at 6:30pm it was a nice -28c.
Did maybe two warmup runs down Zoomer, the usual run for our race. Tonight we had a treat, the GS course was set on Streif.
The racer in me = :drool:
My back injury = 8-[
Streif is pretty impressive trail for a recreational racer. Fun course.
One run for course inspection and one run free ski followed by my 3 timed runs. Not a single patch on ice even on the steep pitch, way better conditions than last Sunday a few miles south at Cascades.
No speed suits for tonight, but a few of us removed our big coats in order to impress and play mind games with our opponents. 😆
3 straight runs without a jacket, just a vest. Back to the top to get my jacket, I was about to get back on the HSQ…but I decided to call it a night for my toes (starting to freeze) and my back. In the bar at 9pm (for the awards and door prizes 8-[ ), got home at 11pm.
Satisfied of my night overall (times could have been better, but with the lack of skiing and back issue), my time was improving every run. Paid a beer for 0.23 slower than my rival. I was a bit stiff at first, but the back survived. Iced it when I got back home.
So for those keeping track, that’s 2 hours, 8 runs x 200m with 0 powder. \:D/
From the Ottawa Masters:
Speed Suit Rule
When the ambient temperature at the time of registration drops below -20 C, the use of speed suits shall be banned. Dress warmly. Women, however, are still encouraged to wear speed suits in the bar after the race.
Race Cancellation – Weather
Race will be cancelled if, at 15h00 on the day of the race, Environment Canada posts an ambient temperature of -28C (or lower) either at the http://www.weatheroffice.com web site, or at the 998.3439 info-line. It is the responsibility of the racer to check these sources on race day – Chances are Gary might not be able to post a cancellation notice on the web site by 15h00.
I wasn’t sure if the race was going to happen, notice Vorlage didn’t have any nights. Camp Fortune had lights also, I couldn’t really see Cascades on the drive up. I saw that Edelweiss didn’t opening the following night.
Originally posted on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 pm on firsttracksonline