Got at the Villa Hostel at 10pm last night…a good walk with a bunch of gear. Found out that they had place only for one night (they haven’t received my reservation via their website). I was too tired to move last night. People were partying pretty late.
Looking to take the 9am bus up to Cerro Bayo…I was tired and light rain was falling. I thought that it would die down, but wasn’t going to be the case. Took the 10am bus. After eating lunch, it started raining pretty consistently all the way to the top. Snow on groomers was fun to ski, better than yesterdays stinky snow at Catedral in the afternoon.
Off the groomers, the snow was wet and heavy, but skiable. Visibility was getting bad at the top in the afternoon. Bayo is cool small hill and it has that small feel. It seemed it’s trying to cater to a rich crowd, but has a pretty old rustic feeling to it. This place was more expensive that Catedral (low season starts tomorrow where lifttickets would be almost $20 less). They are trying to become a major player in skiing in the country, plans are in the works to turn this place into a massive resort. It would includes a gondola from the base to the summit and another gondola from town in Villa La Angostura up the backside. An expansion to the east also and real estate. I saw the plans, but not sure if it has been approve yet?
I believe there was the Argentina ski instructor race being held, not fun race conditions for sure. Like 2 years ago, I skied around and looked around. This place would be fun in a storm like last week, many trees shots to be had. My legs were dead, stopped skiing at 3pm. Not sure how the snow is going to be like after this warm spell, snow at the bottom is melting out, but top isn’t really impacted yet.
After 7 days skiing, tomorrow is a day off and travel day. Afternoon bus out VLA back into Chile and Osorno then Pucon. I was looking at two others areas on the Chilean side, but I wasn’t able to confirm the logistics so I decided to start to head back up as the forecast didn’t really call for as much rain north. Calling for warm temps, I might be able to see the Villarica volcano this time, maybe even ski it (at least the ski area).
Trip is coming to an end, regardless of the conditions the last 2 days and if I don’t get to ski good conditions until this Fall, this trip has been real good to me. Last night in Argentina, ciao.
September 5 : Villa La Angostura ARG to Osorno CHL
Monday Mad Addict’s Attic :
Monday Mad Addict’s Attic : Cerro Bayo
Text originally started on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:51 pm on firsttracksonline