Mont St-Sauveur has for the past 25 years been Québec’s reference for first having the longest season. This wasn’t an exception, MSS opened on October 30 and only Quebec ski area open on weekends almost one month and 3rd to open in the East, one day after Killington and Sunday River. With a May 22 closing in 2011, St-Sauveur was also last to close in Quebec by a few weeks and lasted one extra weekend than anyone else in the East.
Mont St-Sauveur has always been a hotbed of skiing in the Laurentians and American Fred Pabst installed the first lift back in 1934. The ski area was initially divided into different lot with different owners. It wasn’t until 1972 that Mont St-Sauveur became one ski area comprising Hills 68, 69, 70 and 71.
This week’s Attic piece is a brochure from 1980-81 and has a great view of Hill 70 part of MSS from a few miles away on the other side of the village of St-Sauveur-des-Monts. Back then MSS had one triple and four double chair and three T-bars. The new ski lodge was about two years old and night skiing was mainly limited to Hill 70 before this season. New in 1980-81 was a double chair and lights servicing Hill 69 and Tom Barbeau trails. Daily bus services from Montreal was possible via Voyageur and Murray Hill buses.
Mont St-Sauveur now has mainly HSQs and night skiing everywhere.
Mont St-Sauveur was features back in Spring 2011. Click image to access the first post: Monday Mad Addict’s Attic : Mont St-Sauveur – Jay Peak : Part 1