Friday March 16, the last day of Ontario March Break. What a terrible week if you like Winter sports. Temperatures have been extremely warm this month and the weather this week had been pretty iffy with rain or chance of rain most days. Not that were afraid of rain, but most people are and some ski areas also.
This week’s plan skiweek from last months was a total fiasco. Prior to Friday, only 1 day of skiing showing for it after burning 4 vacation days. The Edelweiss Ski Club was organizing a K1 race for Saturday and needed volunteers. Last weekend of racing for the kids. I couldn’t help out on race day due to the Masters Final at Cascades, but I could help out on Friday. The club needed help setting up the bnet, getting the gates ready, bibs, etc. All this was supposed to happen on Thursday night, but was postponed to the next day due to the fact that the hill was closed with the incoming rain and t-storm. We had arrived early evening from Lake Placid and detour to Titus. We compensated for not skiing on Thursday by seeing The Lorax at the cinema. I was available for the Friday and wanted to be on the snow more.
Tara didn’t want to ski on Friday, especially that showers was forecast once more. I showed up at the hill shortly after noon. What a difference since last Sunday. The snow is going fast…melting that is. Although I was out for a few hours, I managed to ski the same amount of runs as that Sunday: 5. I left my poles in the car today. Three of those runs were done bringing stuff to the start, moving and installing the bnetting. After everything was pretty much done, I headed back out for a couple of runs. Turned out only be one on Zoomer and the other on Strief. I headed to be at home at 6pm and it was just past 5pm.
I love skiing this stuff. Skiing was nice corn, saturated with the rain storm from the previous night. Temps near 10c, cloudy and dark.
The hill wasn’t going to be groomed prior to the race, the surface was too soft. Coverage has gone down in the space of 5 days. Coverage was getting thin and it started to show on parts of Zoomer and Strief. With temps suppose to raise above 20c in the next few days, things are going to open up. The approach to the HSQ was already sketchy.
If there isn’t a huge change weather wise, the end is going to be really close. I would say that the odds for April skiing at Edelweiss are close to nil. Is there enough for 2 weekends? The fact that there was only about 20 cars in the parking lot, so if you remove those associated with the ski club and the employees, there would only be one handful of customers.
So three runs while setting up the hill, then two last runs after everything was finish. Patches were starting to show on Zoomer and Strief. Love skiing on this stuff, but not in mid-March.
I’m coming day the next day to drop off Morgane, broken leg and all, which wants to volunteer for her club race, then I’m off to the Masters Final at Cascades. First time as non-racer. A big Saturday in store.